Tuesday, January 16, 2018

[Animal Jam] WildWorks Complaint?

I want to announce - before I get into the main subject- that I will no longer be doing the Necklace to Spike Challenge for 2018. I simply don't have the time. Sorry.

I will say, I'm very, very shocked this happened. I can understand - AJHQ doesn't want hacking information to get out. So what happened, exactly?

Apparently, WildWorks made a DMCA copyright or something complaint about a thread on the Animal Jam Wiki - which I can't link since it has since been removed - that contained hacking information about the unreleased Jamaaliday Gift items on the Daily Gift Calendar back in 2017 and proof that they are not on there.

As said above, I can understand why they filed the complaint (because sharing hacking info is against the rules of Animal Jam), but I think copyright is a little too far. I don't understand all of this as much as most do, but I don't think just giving out data is copyright. No one was claiming it as their own. No one was revealing anything that could potentially harm the game - all they were doing is telling the others what they found, not exactly how anyone else could do it on their own.

The person who made the original post (known as Kitsoon A on the wiki) left his/her opinions in another thread here.

"No matter how you put it it's not infringing their copyright, it may be against the rules as 'threatening their intellectual property by sharing hacking information' but it's not against their copyright...They went too far, they should've just admitted they weren't on the Calendar and stop being cowardly." - Kitsoon A, Animal Jam Wiki

Exactly. I also believe that another reason why Animal Jam may have filed such a complaint wasn't only because it was info about hacking, but also because they don't want players to know that they aren't on the calendar (Kitsoon also said this on the new thread), which is sad because on Instagram, they left a reply to someone's comment saying that the black candy cane socks, the raspberry gingerbread hat, and maybe even the red icicle horn are "very rare, but you can get them".

Another person named Cheesypotatoes :) (as on the wiki) stated in a reply to the thread announcing the complaint (here):

"While I agree that it wasn't the best idea to publicly reveal the sensitive information disclosed in the thread, I hope that WildWorks uses that information to take action in order to prevent this sort of things from happening in the future. The issues with the calendar have been going on ever since it came out in 2011..." - Cheesypotatoes :), Animal Jam Wiki

Per what Cheesypotatoes said, it wasn't the best idea to reveal the info, but maybe AJHQ didn't have to be so...salty? I also don't remember anything from the original thread (or at least not that much) except for the fact that a friend of Kitsoon did some hacking, but I don't think they were explicitly revealing any info, only what they discovered and concluded.

It also seems that AJHQ is doing this "unreleased" stuff on purpose. Making an extra variant and never releasing it. Are they using it to trick us or were they going to use it as a rare prize?

All of this is confusing, but I really don't think that the thread was copyright. So unclear, so undefined.

~2023zhanl38

No comments:

Post a Comment